Milenyals Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convince me, why should I switch to linux?

jakekhan43

Kuneho
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
I'm genuinely curious to know what Linux has to offer over windows/osx

xchg_eax_eax 

Linta
Supporter
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
Depends sa nature ng work. Kung graphics designer ka, siguro Linux is not for you.
I personally like Linux sa work ko na need ng privacy pati na din sa scripting tasks.

infectiouss

Linta
Registered
Popularity
Tried it and still have it in my dual boot. i grew up using windows kaya sinubukan ko ayos naman at enjoy pero when it comes to gaming hindi pa talaga at par with windows.
You will need to get used to not using office apps kung heavy user ka nun (or you could use MS365 sa browswer) at tama yung comment na proprietary apps such as adobe kasi hindi din swabe yung alternate apps nito sa linux. IMO.

Still good knowledge pa din if you want to play around. Spin up a VM and install your first linux using vmware or oracle virtualbox.

espionageaccount

Proud Milenyals
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
No need to change unless kailangan talaga.

Advantage for Linux is very light kumain ng resources sa computer. It promote open source software meaning ang community is for the people, by the people talaga.

Walang unnecessary bloatware like preinstalled candy crush or whatever.

Disadvantages are you have to learn it and of course compatibility with some apps like MS Office although may alternative naman like LibreOffice.

Jimmy

Proud Milenyals
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
Its an open source software you got a lot more freedom than windows

joolastic

Kuneho
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
No need to choose, use both - Linux as a server, Windows as PC.

richardj55

Linta
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
plus you dont have to worry about virus...

vernoncthrash

Pusa
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
I also want to know, daming nagsasabi na windows itself is bloat hahaha nahihirapan din ako sa linux and scared to try a new environment

sammibole

Aso
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
OPen source at mas magaan.

dabehdallo

Aso
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
If ma effort ka on learning new things, switch to linux. Pero kung hindi, stick to whatever OS you are using

HulasSaUmaga

Pusa
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
Maganda siya kung sa work mo lang gagamitin. Really handy kaya would recommend talaga

anyrandomhole

Linta
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
I only use Linux for my old netbook running Intel Atom (Bay Trail) just to give it a second lease in life.

I mainly use Windows since the programs I use are in there, except for Ardour which also has a Linux version.

My brother has a very simple comparison: going Linux is like exploring different Android custom ROMs. If you're into that, then by all means, try Linux. Puwede ka naman bumalik sa Windows/Mac.

wdawdawd312

Kuneho
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
most of Linux distros ginagamit sa business if basic computer usage ang trip mo mas ok ang windows lang

MrUseso

Linta
Half Member
Registered
Popularity
I'm genuinely curious to know what Linux has to offer over windows/osx
jakekhan43If you want software development and system administration tools, obviously linux should be your go to choice; it has a better ecosystem for server maintenance and development than OSX.
Other than that, if you're not actually doing any of that then just stick with what you're comfortable with.

Actually no, if you're going to build a multimedia center, Linux is also great for it since may mga tools and configuration that allows you to build a proper home theater for free, may mga ASIO redirection siya and it is compatible with a lot of audio interfaces so you can redirect your audio accordingly (especially sa mga 7.1 home theatre system).

Available din sa linux for free yung mga tools for making music software and because ok nga siya sa mga audio interfaces, pwede mo lang isalpak yung audio interface mo sa USB drive to go.

And most of all, it's free and actively maintained by the open source community.